Monday, October 12, 2009

Spoken Word



Music is the best thing that has ever been invented. I personally use music to relax and calm my nerves. I also listen to it whenever I am hyper or in an upbeat mood. Sometimes the lyrics say things that I cannot say for myself. For these reasons, music is something that I must have everyday.

Beside music, spoken word is another form of literary art that I enjoy listening to. Spoken word is a form of literary art in which lyrics, stories, or poems are read aloud instead of being sung. Which means that they are told without any instruments or sound in the background.

I love listening to spoken word performers because their poetry always sends out a message that I can relate to. When I first got into spoken word the first one I heard was one called, High School, by Alan Deperio. He isn’t famous or well known, but he is truly talented when it comes to poetry. He expresses how he feels about things through spoken word. High School is my favorite one because I agree with what he said about high school. The message that he is trying to send out in this video is that high school does not teach you things that you need to know to get by in life. It doesn’t give you the freedom to express yourself. This is exactly what I was feeling in high school and he couldn’t have said it any better.

I also like spoken word because music today has drastically changed. Some of the songs on the radio have no meaning or message at all. If they did have a meaning or a message it would always be about sex, drugs, and girls. I am not saying that ALL music is like that, but when you tune into the big radio stations now, that is what you would usually hear. With spoken word, the artists write about real life situations or things that actually speak to the mind or heart. Don’t get me wrong; I still love music but the “good” kind of music that I personally like.

Just like music, I can listen to spoken word no matter what mood I am in. The lyrics, stories, or poems that are being told through music and spoken word can always describe what I feel better than I can.

4 comments:

  1. i agree with you. I would like for some variety of messages in music over the radio. Although i do not listen to it much i believe everyone would enjoy the pleasant change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought that music always had the same messages/ideas behind it. Love, breakups, relationships, blah, blah, blah. I think some new, fresh ideas would be great, and whoever the artist is who would do it would make big bucks too!

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spoken word is such a great outlet of release, sort of like writing in general, the pressure of any mood can be laid to rest in written word. I am a poet who, because of anxiety problems, never preformed any of my work. How about you, you listen, but do you write?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this guy and his speeches! I found that poem completely true. I did not enjoy High School (so I graduated early). I do wish that we learned more about life and the situations we are going to face in High School. I agree with you that this would have been better for the students. love your post =]

    ReplyDelete